Saturday 5 September 2015

John Marsden's writing tips

Dear Blog,

By time the third session with John Marsden came along I started to feel my magic star struck fairy dust flicker away and started to think of him more as a teacher. This man was such a successful writer and his most famous and his most well know book "Tomorrow When the War Began" had been turned into a movie, a movie I loved so much, I felt like Ellie was my soul sister. She was a leader and knew how to handle herself and I loved that.  Furthermore he was a teacher and I bet he could give teach me a thing or two on writing.  And so he did, heres some tips according to John Marsden:

(Note; I just wrote these down they aren't official tips or anything).

1. "The more you write the better you get."
2. The word "yet" is very important.
3. Find the time to write.
4. Don't edit as you go, if it doesn't work for you- find what works for you.
5. A lot of young writers lack detail in their stories- add more detail
6. Find the right amout of dialogue
7. Voice is important for characters; they should all have their individual voice.
8. Whatever is important in real life, is important in the story.

There you have it. The tips I learnt from a writing guru himself. I have more to say on him but that will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment