Saturday 5 September 2015

My favourite quote

Dear Blog, 

It was in my second session that I realised I loved question time. I didn't ask any but I loved hearing what other people had to ask, their voices babbling with excitement, the sound giddy. Children were the most curious and they asked the questions that us adults thought stupid, or childish. Children would wave their hand in the air drastically, from side to side, reaching as high as they could, as if they were attempting to touch the sky and their very lives depended on it. They would leap out of their seats and then touch back down again so not to be told by the teacher to "sit down!" Up and down in this leapfrog moment they would be picked by the hosts of the sessions. Their questions were for the infamous legend of Australian teen literature, John Marsden or the gorgeous, delicate and clever Alice Pung. The microphone would be dropped upon the child like a prize and the child's smile would light up their face, their mind pausing just for an instance so not to sound unintelligent and then they would ask their question, their head held high, straightened stance and shoulders pushed back, confident and proud. " How many pages is a normal book?" I smile, and let out a small patronising giggle into my hand, it was such an innocent and childish question, however Alice was ready to answer. "There's no such thing as a normal book, theres  no such thing as how many pages, just enough so the story is told," she said.  There it was, the unexpected jaw dropping truth.  I wrote it down as quickly as possible as she expanded on the topic. How silly of me to judge a child, its question gave me an answer I was longing to hear. The truth. I had always worried about my writing, about the length, about how long or short it was, but it didn't matter, the words on the page, the word count, that wasn't the point. The point was the story. As long as I was true to the story and told it to the best of my ability then thats all that mattered. Telling the story. Telling my story. It was at that moment, I knew, I can do it. I can fulfil my dream and be a writer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment